Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 1

Hey everyone! If you're here you've probably followed a link in an email that I've sent out to all of my friends and family, but if somehow you've gotten here and you don't know me or why I've created this blog, let me give a brief description of who I am and why I want to go to Peru.

I am an RN on a relatively busy Labor and Delivery Unit in Appleton, Wisconsin. One of our hospital's driving tenants is to provide care for all who need it, ESPECIALLY the poor. I love my job, in fact I left a lucrative career in network engineering and support to get my BSN and become a nurse. I'm hoping, in the next year, to begin my Masters program to become a Certified Nurse Midwife. I'm also married, have two boys (11 and 7) and four (yes four) cats.

But why do I want to go to Peru? And why am I asking for help getting there? Here's the deal: The neonatal (newborn) mortality rate in Peru is 18 out of every 1000 live births. That means that for every 1000 babies born, 18 won't live out their first month. (In contrast the US neonatal mortality rate in 2006 was 4.5/1000.) In the US we take for granted things like clean running water, oxygen masks, suction, supplies, warm towels, and everything necessary to help a baby who may need some assistance to breathe in the first few minutes of life. In the Colca Valley those things are not a given, and many babies die for the lack of simple skills and equipment that we use almost every day.

I have the opportunity to join a medical Mission to this area of Peru from April 18-May 1 2010 to help teach basic Neonatal Resuscitation skills to the health care providers who care for laboring women and newborn babies. Along with other nurses I will be able to demonstrate and practice with them and work in the clinics alongside them. They will, in turn, be able to share their skills with others in the hopes that we can save the lives of babies who need a little extra support at birth.

So that's my story. There is a paypal generated donation button in the right hand column, and if you have a few dollars to spare to help me get to Peru, I would be eternally grateful for your donation. I need to raise $2000 to cover my expenses and I'll take the button down as soon as I reach my goal. I'll also post daily updates to show where I stand in progressing toward my goal. My hope is also that I will be able to update this site while I am IN Peru with pictures and posts... if that is not possible, then I'll keep a detailed diary and post a trip report when I return.

Oh yeah... and if, for ANY reason, the trip gets canceled I promise that I will return every penny to those of you who donated it. I can not tell you how much your support means to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment