Wednesday, April 14, 2010

3 days...

On Saturday, April 17th I will take my bags (one duffle with my clothes and necessities and one VERY large suitcase packed with donated vitamins, art-supplies, baby clothes and hats, bulb-syringes, ambu-bags, non-sterile gloves, etc...) get into Mary's car and we will be off to Milwaukee International Airport to start our adventure to Peru.

My final donation $$ Amount is $2120. I don't know how it happened... but it did, and every single person who donated even $1 helped make this trip possible.

Mary and I will arrive in Arequipa, Peru early Sunday morning and we will immediately begin our Mission with Father Alex. We will help at their free child-care center... we will deliver meals to the elderly members of the community, we will help in every way we can. On Wednesday the 22nd we will take a brief break (2 days) to travel to Machu Picchu. On Friday we will return to the mission, complete our work there and prepare for the second portion of our Mission.

On Sunday, the 25th we will board a van and travel up into the mountains (over 15,000 ft. elevation) and then back down into the Colca Valley (the floor of the valley is at 11,000 ft). Here we will help Dr. Gheringer teach NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation) to groups of nurses and physicians who man the government run clinics in these tiny rural villages. When classes are done for the day we will help in the clinics with immunizations, vitals, wounds, etc... anything that needs doing. Friday we will return to Father Alex's guest house and Saturday evening we board our plane home.

I am nervous, I am excited, I will be sad to leave my family, but somehow I think it will all be worth it in the end.

Thank you for making this possible.

THANK YOU!!! I'll keep this spot updated as much as I can from Peru. Expect Alpaca pictures!!

xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. Brenna, I am so proud of you. I hope you have a safe and fun trip, and that you're able to help them not just while you're there, but also in the future.

    I'll stop being cheesy now. :-)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete