Friday, February 19, 2010

Whoops!!

Its been a long time since I posted an update, its been VERY busy at work!

Last week our little unit witnessed the births of 31 babies!! It was crazy busy, but very rewarding.

Mary and I have been trying to track down the cheapest flights, but it looks like we need to just bite the bullet and buy our tickets ASAP before the prices jump way up.

The nerves about this trip are settling down a bit at this point. I've been gathering infant masks at work as they are used briefly for babies. I clean and decontaminate them with some gluco-chlor wipes and tuck them away for the trip to Peru. They're considered single-use items, but they're very easy to completely decontaminate and it seems such a waste to throw them away when they're so very useful.

I'm also thinking about what I need to bring with me, clothing wise. I am a light packer because I hate packing a lot of junk around on trips... but with the changes in temperature I'd hate to be stuck without enough warm clothes! Does anyone have advice on traveling to high elevations? Khaki's, jeans, shirts, a couple of sweaters and various socks is about all I can come up with... well, and a variety of undies. ;) But even that seems like a lot to pack, maybe I can cut back and bring some Dr. Bronners and wash things while I'm there.

2 comments:

  1. Woolens are so comparatively cheap in Peru! Lovely lovely alpaca sweaters for a song. And they have lovely embroidered stuff in the Arequipa area.

    Why don't you take one sweater, a good pair (or two!) of lightweight long underwear, jeans if you must, but otherwise pants that will dry quickly. And lots of underwear!

    What month are you travelling in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Also a lot of places have laundry services - dropoff - which are pretty cheap.

    ReplyDelete