Saturday, February 6, 2010

This is getting real!

There was an organizational meeting at the hospital on Thursday, but I was unable to attend as I was working and had a very complex patient load so I couldn't leave the floor. Luckily, my friend (and co-worker) Mary went for me and gave me all of the information.

We're going to be flying in to Lima on Saturday the 17th and there will be a guide from Health Bridges there to meet us and get us to our in-country flight to Arequipa. It will make things a lot easier on everyone if we all arrive in Arequipa at the same time, so there is only one bus pick-up and such.

We are told that there is internet access at the guest house where we'll be staying in Arequipa, but outside of that we may be out of luck. I plan to bring my camera, and hopefully I'll be able to upload a few pictures while we're there.

I'm a little freaked about the elevations we'll be staying at. Arequipa is around 9000ft above sea level and the FLOOR of the Colca Canyon is close to 11,000 ft. (Have I already mentioned this?) I haven't ever stayed anywhere near that elevation before and I'm really hoping my body copes with it well. I'm going to my spin classes regularly, so hopefully my cardiovascular system will be able to adapt with relative ease... altitude sickness sounds like absolutely no fun what so ever.

1 comment:

  1. I have to recommend getting a scrip for the altitude sickness drugs before hands. I didn't find Arequipa bad - we'd been higher before we got there - but when we were very high up in Bolivia, I felt rotten, rotten, rotten, rotten.

    The drugs are a bit weird, and take the carbonation out of beverages, but heck!

    You should see the Ice Maiden while you're in Arequipa! It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete